In addition to starting a ton of seeds, our other big spring task is to get the blueberries and raspberries in shape for the summer.
Step 1 for the blueberries was getting them mulched. We have a problem with Mummyberry. No it’s not some sugary kids cereal, it’s a fungal disease. To oversimplify it...the berries shrivel up, fall, and become next year’s spore packs. Thanks to our out of town friends, we got the straw down last week.
Today, Kathleen and I worked on pruning (step 2). A lot of the bushes haven’t been pruned in years but we’re finally catching up. We’re also not nearly as timid as we used to be about cutting out a “good” branch or two in the interest of keeping the plant healthy and productive.
As a side note...It is in fact April 7th. The picture of Kathleen above illustrates how cold it was today. We may even get snow this week. I like winter, but we’re soooooo ready for Spring. I want the ground to thaw enough so we can get our peas in!!